Saturday, February 26, 2011

SNORKELING WITH THE CUTEST MOST ADORABLE ANIMALS EVER....MANATEES

 So manatees have been my favorite animal since like first grade when I started learning about endangered animals.  Having the heart I do for animals...it just broke my heart of thinking these sweet big bundles of love dying due to boating!  Manatees I believe have recently been taken off the endangered species list (I think), and if you lived down here in Florida you would see why...there are signs all over protecting the Manatees. The biggest thing was enforcing no wake zones for boaters and making them more aware of their environment.  Manatees float along the top of the water to breathe and that is how they get hit by the motors on the boats.  Many many manatees have scars from the boats propellers and it just breaks your heart.  
 We went snorkeling in the Homosassas River where manatees come in the winter for warmer water. They have to live in water at least 68 degrees and need to have access to sea grass to eat...that is why they are also called a "sea cow"....they are grazers.
 This is Seth with the green noodle and this is are little social butterfly.  He is a baby manatee who was so excited to see us and play with us!
 I was the first one in the water and as soon as I get in I see this little guy come stratight for me!!! I was so so so excited to begin with and to see him want to come over to me was overwhelming!!!  This little guy wanted know everything about us, he got right up in my face ( I mean like nose to nose...they like to feel with their whiskers). He wanted to be rubbed under his fins and patted on his belly....he would roll over just like a pupppy!!!  
 This is him rolling over for me to pet him. What was so sweet also was that there were about five us in a circle around him and he would make sure to give everyone some face time....He would hang out with Seth...swim over to me....so thoughtful :-)
 Did you know that manatees are the only mammal that have no record of aggression....one more reason they are so special!

 Debbie found a huge manatee that wanted to be played with aka patted on its belly as it rolled over. It amazed her how social and friendly these wonderful animals were...she wasn't expecting such intimate interaction.  
Seth was surprised how awesome it was to swim with the Manatees....I guess he wasn't expecting them to be very entertaining...besides the duck billed playtupus they are his favorite animal too!!! They will capture your heart people!!!


WE WILL NEVER EVER EVER FORGET THIS WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment